It’s the time of year again when we here at The Juice Standard start thinking about how to fight the flu with as many preventative ways as possible.
The ever-forever goal is prevention-prevention-prevention…but even the healthiest of us still get sick, damnit. But when sickie strikes, we don’t have to hit up the over-the-counter meds that mass-marketing media deems the holy grail of health.
Around here, we beelieve in treating proactively by eating proactively! So the next time you’re sick, try fighting the flu our fave three ways first!
1) Totally Turmeric Singletons
If you’re not taking it year-round as a preventative, November is definitely when we advise boosting the ol’ intake of turmeric. We tout turmeric as one of the most healing roots in rootdom thanks to its natural curcumin…known for how it can bolster brain activity (it’s a recommended diet addition for Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and brain tumor patients). It’s also a known as a solid inflam tamer: Doctors who prescribe it as a natural alternative to ibuprofen (as in this reference from the New York Times) recommend doses of 1000-2000 mg/day.
For the sake of cold-pressed juicy convenience, these are the TJS juices and nut milks that deliver turmeric’s famous yellow punch. They’re an easy way to easily, sneakily get it into your system.
- BEE ON POINT: (a blend of cucumber, celery, carrot, apple, kale, beet, dandelion, radish, lemon, ginger, turmeric and black pepper)
- BEE TRUE TO YOU: (a sweet-yet-spicy juice with cucumber, lemon, ginger, turmeric, honey, and cayenne)
- BEE WHEALTHY™: (our signature recipe featuring cucumber, celery, romaine, kale, apple, dandelion, parsley, lemon, ginger, and turmeric)
- BEE LEGENDARY: (our eggnog-inspired nut milk made with raw cashew, raw Brazil nut, raw walnut, turmeric, ginger, vanilla bean, cardamom, nutmeg, clove, pink Himalayan salt, cracked black pepper, and raw local honey).
2) TJS Juice Shots
Ever had one of shots? How about a shot flight? These super-strong doses of juices, herbs and spices are combined in just the right way to promote fast and full absorption of the good stuff in them. (And since much in nature works synergistically, you can bet Marcella and Jamie put hella effort into mixing and matching TJS’s organic ingredients just so.)
Want to read more about ‘em? Earlier this year Vegas Seven writer Al Mancini wrote a roundup of the good stuff Las Vegas serves to help fight the flu. For a quick glance of what we serve, see below. (Remember: They don’t call us a juice bar for nothing.)
- WELLNESS SHOT: (a blend of ginger, lemon and cayenne pepper that boosts immunity with vitamin C; increases circulation with the pepper’s heat; and eases stomach discomfort thanks to the ginger’s digestive enzymes)
- FLU SHOT: (raw apple cider vinegar, oregano oil, turmeric, and black pepper come together in a sip that’s pleasantly acidic and herbal…and thanks to that turmeric and pepper—and assuming you like Indian food—it’s faintly reminiscent of your fave yellow curry)
- E3Live! SHOT: (with only E3Live® blue-green algae and coconut water, the algae contains some of the most concentrated amounts of protein known to the plant world and is known for increasing energy and balancing mood. The taste? Vegetal and grassy with a hint of the tropics. Think walking through a freshly cut yard while nursing a piña colada. Minus the pineapple. And the sugar. And, pushing a mower.
3) Lypo-Spheric Vitamin C Packs
To avoid illness, boost your immune system and even protect against germies during long flights or travel, our LiveOn Labs’ Lypo-Spheric vitamin C packs are a fantastic instant preventative. Each pack’s 1,000mg of vitamin C is quickly absorbed when dissolved in water, making it super simple to add to that crap water you get on the airplane instead of the bottle you had to dump during security.